7. São Paulo: Layover Private Tour from GRU Airport
Your guide will pick you up by private vehicle from São Paulo–Guarulhos International Airport and drive you to downtown São Paulo for a brief historical walking tour. See the sights where the city was founded in 1554 at Pátio do Colégio, a historical Jesuit mission church and school. Stop at the famous Catedral da Sé (Cathedral of Sé), a neo-Gothic building from the 20th-century, which holds up to 8,000 people.
Afterwards, continue your scenic tour of São Paulo by private vehicle passing by the Monastery of Sao Bento, a historical sight belonging to the Benedictines, who have sung Gregorian chants at masses there since the 16th-century, the 30 story Martinelli building – São Paulo’s first skyscraper – and the Banespa Tower that looks similar to New York’s Empire State building. Pass the churches of St. Francis that were built during the 18th-century, and the Municipal Theater of São Paulo, the city’s oldest theater and a venue for renowned concerts and operas.
Learn from your guide about São Paulo Law School, the city’s first established university, admire the Tea Bridge, the 42-story Italian Tower and City Hall, an imposing building made entirely of travertine marble. Keep an eye out for Brazil’s largest residential building – the Copan building, designed by the famous architect, Oscar Niemeyer.
In addition to these city landmarks, you’ll drive through several interesting areas including:
- Liberdade: the Japanese district of São Paulo, where Japanese immigrants settled at the beginning of the 20th-century
- Paulista Avenue: a financial district created at the end of the 19th-century, then home to wealthy coffee farmers
- Ibirapuera Park: São Paulo´s main park including a peaceful garden landscape designed by Roberto Burle Marx
- The Municipal Market: a vibrant building inaugurated in São Paulo in 1932. Besides coming in contact with the Brazil great gastronomical variety. You will be able to try the famous pastel de bacalhau (a fried pastry with salt-cod filling) or a sandwich with more than 400 grams of mortadela (meals not included in price)
- Vila Madalena neighborhood - a bohemian area full of artist studios and home to the best murals in town.