5. Preveza: Private Highlights Tour with a Local
You will have the opportunity to visit:
1. Preveza town that is located at the mouth of Amvrakikos Gulf, in Western Greece. It is an area blessed with beautiful landscapes, green areas, great beaches, a rich history, ancient sites and monuments.
2. The Museum that is dedicated exclusively to the city which was founded in commemoration of the victory of Octavian Augustus at the naval battle of Actium in 31 BC. Based on this, the central theme of the permanent exhibition can be summarized in the phrase: One Battle, One City, One Empire. Octavian’s victory at Actium did not only lead to the founding of Nicopolis; it also had great influence on the shape of the Roman Empire and the course of history.
3. Nikopolis or Nicopolis (it means, the victory city) is probably the largest in size ancient city in Greece, but still few have heard about it!
4. Cassope is located very close to Zalongo, a steep slope at the village of Kamarina in the Preveza Peripheral Unit, where in 1803, after the capitulation of Souliotes to Ali Pasha, the women from Souli threw first their children off the cliff and then followed them singing and dancing hand-in-hand.
Cassope, the capital of Cassopaea, was founded before the mid-4th century BC, in a naturally fortified location within a spacious plateau, at an altitude of 550 - 650 m on the slopes of Zalongo. The city reached its heyday in the 3rd century BC, when its great public buildings were built and the area of the agora acquired its monumental form.
5.The famous river Acheron (44km from Preveza) is named after god Aheron, who in Greek mythology is known as the god who guards the river of the underground. According to legend, the souls of the dead were transported to the other side of the river Acheron, to the god of the underground world Hades, and the goddess Thetis bathed her son Achilles in this river, holding him for heel, giving him immortality.
Walking to the river takes fifteen minutes through the beautiful nature, and the last 5-10 minutes by a riverbed through a very cold and shallow water. The color of the water is gently blue or emerald green depending on the surrounding environment (high white rocks or trees).