National Portrait Gallery & American Art Museum Guided Tour
- Experience the evolution of American Art
- Enjoy a guided highlights tour with a personal touch
- See the famous Presidential Portrait collection
- Learn the mystery behind some iconic art
The National Portrait Gallery features portraits of the great women and men who helped build the United States. Presidents and first ladies are on display, as well as famous military leaders of the Civil War, like Grant and Sherman. Discover 19th Century daguerreotypes, early photographs, before exploring the Robber Barons and Suffragettes of the early 20th Century.
Afterwards, move on to the American Art Museum where artists like Mary Cassatt, a beloved Impressionist, are on display. You’ll explore big names like Edward Hopper and David Hockney in front of some of their iconic paintings. Georgia O’Keeffe’s provocative flowers will spark conversations as much as the slightly odd portrait of former president Obama. Learn about the WPA-era photographs that helped define a nation during the Great Depression, as well as more modern works that will leave you scratching your head, until your expert guide helps bring it all into focus.
- Professional art historian guide
- Available daily
- Duration 2 - 2.5 hours
- Hotel pickup or drop-off
- Temporary exhibits
- Luggage or coat storage
- Gratuities (optional)
Prepare for the activity
Meet your guide outside of the G street (G St NW) entrance to the museum in front of the sign reading "National Portrait Gallery" Note: In case you have trouble finding the meeting point please contact your guide. The guide's name and number will be provided via email the night before of the tour.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Passport or ID card
- Luggage or large bags
• Semi-private tours require a minimum of 2 participants to run. In the event this is not reached, you will be offered an alternative date or a full refund.
• Please advise when booking if you require a wheelchair accessible tour
• Only handbags or small thin bag packs are allowed through security
• A moderate amount of walking is involved
• Occasional closures without previous warning from the museum management: when this occurs, guests will be provided with an appropriate alternative if the museum opening time is delayed more than 1 hour from the tour starting time. In these cases the supplier is unable to provide refunds or discounts
• Some specific rooms inside the museum are subject to rules requiring quiet or restricted right to speak inside. In these cases your guide will provide the information about the rooms contents before entering the specific rooms where this rule applies. Some collections may vary along the year.