Santorini: Akrotiri Prehistoric City Guided Walking Tour
- Visit the prehistoric city of Akrotiri, where the myth of Atlantis still lives
- Enjoy a guided tour by a licensed archaeologist
- Explore the site on your own after the tour and visit the beach nearby for a swim
In the 16th century BC, a volcanic eruption destroyed all life on the island. Most of it collapsed beneath the waves and remained undiscovered until the excavations began in 1967, led by Professor Spyros Marintos. He uncovered the evidence of a city with houses, streets, squares and workshops, all of which had been covered under a thick blanket of pumice for almost 3,500 years.
Marvel at the well-preserved buildings and passageway in the excavated area. See the beautiful pottery, the roads, and squares of a city 3,500 years old. Explore the two and three-story houses, which were once decorated with wall paintings and get an insight into the ancient civilization of Santorini.
After the guided tour you are free to walk around the site at your own pace.
- Licensed archaeologist as a guide
- Free time to continue exploring
- Entry ticket to the archeological site
- Tips (optional)
Prepare for the activity
Meet the guide at the entrance of the Museum Prehistoric Town of Akrotiri. Please be there 10 minutes before the starting time. The guide will arrive with a group of people in a bus of NST Tours.Open in Google Maps ⟶