Express Colosseum Tour: Gladiator’s Gate and Arena Floor
- Get privileged access to the Colosseum and spend more time at Rome's most famous monument
- Access the arena floor and stand where the gladiators once stood
- See a reconstruction of the lift that brought the animals to the stage
- Access the Roman Forum by skip the line entrance
Your expert, English-speaking guide will shed light on the experiences of the gladiators who walked these same stone corridors centuries ago. Combatants, caged animals and scenery all waited below to be hoisted into the arena and enact deadly duels, wild hunts and even sea battles were staged to entertain audiences up to 80,000 strong.
Most tours aren’t allowed to visit the Arena Floor making it perfect for photo opportunities – and for taking a moment to imagine what gladiators must have felt, gazing up at tier upon tier of blood-thirsty spectators.
Avoiding the lines and crowds at the Colosseum frees up time you can choose to spend with a follow-up visit to the Roman Forum, where you’ll also enjoy Skip-the-Line Access as part of this package. From this once-bustling marketplace, you may decide to hike up the Palatine Hill, birthplace of Rome, for panoramic views of the Circus Maximus, where Rome further indulged its penchant for spectacle with breathless chariot races.
- English-speaking guide
- Privileged access to the Colosseum
- 1.5-hour guided tour of the Colosseum
- Optional skip-the-line access to the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill (at you own pace)
- Headsets, when appropriate, so you can always hear your guide
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
- Food and beverages
Prepare for the activity
Meet at Largo Gaetana Agnesi, above the 2nd floor of the"Colosseo" metro stop (Line B/Blue Line). Your guide coordinator will be wearing a blue polo shirt or jacket for easy recognition. If arriving by metro, exit the turnstiles and take an immediate right. Walk down the tiled hall to the escalator/stairs. At the top of the escalator, go to the right and up the short flight of stairs to exit. Turn left, and then take the stairs ahead on the left to the small, oval-shaped “square.” Largo Gaetana Agnesi is above the metro, with views of the Colosseum.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Comfortable shoes
- Luggage or large bags
• Avoid bringing large purses, bags or backpacks on your tour to avoid possible denied entry. The Colosseum does not have any cloakroom facilities to store such items
• Comfortable shoes are recommended
• This tour is unable to accommodate wheelchairs, strollers or baby carriages, or people with any impairments requiring special assistance
• Some of the venues may be subject to last minute and unpredictable closure. When this occurs, you will be offered an extended tour to keep the length of the tour as stated