This activity has GetYourGuide's stamp of approval! Exceptional customer service, knowledgeable staff, and a great time guaranteed.
Explore the intact remains of the Roman town of Pompeii and climb the mountain that destroyed it. Gaze into the volcanic crater of Mt. Vesuvius, and get panoramic views of the Bay of Naples and Amalfi Coast from its summit.
About this activity
Duration 13 hours
Printed or mobile voucher accepted
Cancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund
Select date, participants and language:
Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Pompeii and learn what life was like in an everyday Roman town
Enjoy breathtaking views from the summit of Mount Vesuvius
Peer into the crater of Vesuvius, where steam still escapes from its vents
Travel in small groups of no more than 25 people for a more personalized experience
Try a typical Neapolitan pizza
Travel back in time to a day in 79 AD when the volcanic Mount Vesuvius violently erupted, covering the everyday Roman town of Pompeii in molten ash. This full-day tour from Rome takes you to both sites, interrupted only to enjoy a pizza lunch.
If you partake in this activity during Summer, start with a climb to the summit of Vesuvius. It is a 20-minute walk from the parking area, traveling through soft volcanic ash and pumice. Vesuvius has erupted many times since 79 AD, and lava flows have scarred the sides, stripping away vegetation to leave a visible reminder of the destructive power of nature. But you will be rewarded with stunning views into the crater, where even now steam escapes from its vents. Look too at the panoramic vistas of the Bay of Naples.
Enjoy a leisurely lunch break and try some of Naples’s world-famous pizza. Then, drive to Pompeii, nestled in the shadow of Vesuvius. The town was once a sprawling metropolis of shops, luxury residences, restaurants, bathhouses, and brothels. You will walk its streets, following in the footsteps of its residents, some of whom are immortalized in startling plaster casts at the precise moment of their death.
Your guide will provide a historic commentary about the ruins, telling a terrible tale of the day it was destroyed and bringing the remarkable site back to life.
During the winter months (from 19/11/2018 to 31/03/2019),when Mount Vesuvius is closed, you will visit Naples, the beautiful ‘city by the bay. Take a panoramic bus tour and have some free time to walk around the city center, and take in the atmosphere of this buzzing city.
Ticket and reservation fees for Vesuvius and Pompeii
• In rare cases of inclement weather or strikes, the crater of Vesuvius may be closed to visitors. In this case an alternative visit to the Archeological Museum of Pompei will be included, or an alternative of equal value.
• This service ends around 19:30 at the square Piazza del Popolo in Rome.
• The hike up to the crater of Vesuvius is optional and requires a good level of general fitness to complete. The hike is prevalently on soft ground, adequate footwear is recommended. Those who choose may remain at the parking area and enjoy the views.
• Temperatures on the Volcano may be a bit lower than temperatures on the ground, a sweater or light jacket is recommended.
• This tour involves a fair amount of walking, comfortable shoes are recommended.
• Heightened global security may result in delays in getting through security checks at the venue. It is recommended to leave large bags and backpacks at home.