From Munich: Dachau Memorial Site Full-Day Tour in English
- Pass through Dachau’s Jourhaus with the infamous sign, Arbeit Macht Frei
- Tour the Bunker and Barracks with a Memorial-qualified guide
- Reflect on one of the darkest points in recent human history
On this 4-hour tour, a highly experienced and Memorial-qualified guide will provide detailed commentary on all aspects of camp life and death for the hundreds of thousands of prisoners that passed through the gates from 1933-1945:
• Why the camp was opened and the first prisoners to arrive
• The 3 phases of the Camp, and its evolution and development
• S.S. Training Facility – the School of Terror
• Jourhaus, the entrance building and gateway into the camp, with its infamous sign Arbeit Macht Frei (work will set you free)
• Appellplatz, the roll call square
• Memorial Site Museum in the former maintenance building
• Registration of new prisoners and their categorization
• Torture and punishment, both physical and psychological
• The Bunker, the prison within the camp
• Bunker Courtyard for both torture and execution
• Barracks, prisoner life and daily routine
• Camp perimeter fence and guard towers
• Barrack X – 2 crematoriums, mass graves, and the gas chamber
• The Nandor Glid sculpture and religious memorials
Dachau’s importance as a center for education and remembrance makes this a day that is impossible to forget.
Your tour includes round-trip travel from Munich by public transportation. After the tour the guide will return with your group to the Marienplatz meeting point, arriving at approximately 16:45.
- All transportation costs (train and bus)
- Memorial-qualified, experienced guide
- Food (Note that it is not permitted to eat food while on tours at Dachau, so be sure to either eat a big breakfast or bring something to eat on the train on the way to the site.)
- People with respiratory issues
Prepare for the activity
• Tours conducted 27 November through to 23 December will begin on the corner of Marienplatz and Dienerstrasse by the department store Ludwig Beck (Marienplatz 11) and the Fischbrunnen • Tours conducted before 17 November and after 15 December 25 start in front of the Suddeutsche Zeitung Kiosk adjacent to the store Wormland Marienplatz 28 • Look for a white and blue umbrella and signs advertising the Dachau Tour • Please check in at 10:30 AM for prompt departure at 10:40 AMOpen in Google Maps ⟶
- Comfortable shoes
- Student card
- Weather-appropriate clothing
Unfortunately, children aged 13 or under are not permitted on this tour. Children aged 14 and over are welcome on the basis that parents attend the tour with their child and that they understand the graphic nature of the tour content.
Although the guides have extensive experience guiding younger visitors, the Memorial Site guidelines indicate that some of the exhibits and themes are not suitable for those under the age of 14.