Monterey Bay: Whale Watching Tour
- See whales in their natural habitat
- Explore Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary
- Admire some of the most incredible animals on earth
Upon leaving the harbor, the boat passes the historic Cannery Row and then enters the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. Monterey is one of the world’s best locations for whale watching due to the deep submarine canyon close to shore. This is where the search for the wonders of the bay’s marine life begins. With whales spotted almost every day, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Keep your eyes peeled as you scan the water for the abundance of marine life that lives here. Search for feeding humpback whales, a variety of dolphin species, porpoises, blue whales, fin whales and more. As you sail, listen to the onboard biologist provide fascinating insight into the creatures of the bay, and what is done to protect them.
During the summer/ fall season, the tour will focus on feeding whales that come to the bay to feast on small fish and krill. You can expect to see humpback whales daily but, you may also see blue whales, fin whales, gray whales (finishing migration), orcas and a variety of other dolphin species. During the winter season, the tour will focus on migrating whales. One of largest movements of mammals on earth happens just off the coast of Pacific Grove, CA – the south end of Monterey Bay. Gray whales pass by the coast, about a 30-minute ride from Monterey Harbor. Due to the short distance from the “gray whale super highway”, the trips can be shorter in duration for the winter time.
- 3 or 4 hour whale watching cruise (depending on option booked)
- Complimentary coffee, tea, and hot chocolate are provided in the office at check in and on the boat
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Pregnant women
- People with mobility impairments
Prepare for the activity
Please park in the main water front parking lot at the address: 245 Washington Street, Monterey CA 93940. This is a gated parking lot, to enter you must take the ticket at the gate and drive in. Park as close as you can to rows A through D. Once parked, walk down the tourist wharf past all the shops and restaurants. When you reach the Crab House restaurant and Glass Bottom Boat ticket booth you will turn right on the extended pier. The office is on the right hand side of the extension. Our building is light blue in color and has a sign on the roof that reads "Discovery Whale Watch".Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Comfortable shoes
- Sun hat
- Alcohol and drugs
• This tour is not recommended for people with limited mobility
• Pregnant women are not allowed on this tour
• Motion sickness remedies are available for purchase at the office before the tour, but you are welcome to bring your own
• Bringing a small packed lunch and non-alcoholic beverages is allowed
• There are restroom facilities on the vessel
• Friendly dogs are permitted on board