London Thames River Ale Tasting Bike Tour & Picnic
- Cycle the University Boat Race route of the River Thames London
- Hear about Saxon and Roman history while passing by old riverside houses and pubs
- Sample locally brewed ale and hear the history of brewing in the area
- Enjoy a traditional afternoon tea picnic in a stately home grounds (Summer only)
- Pass working boat yards and enjoy parts of the Grand Union Canal
- Cross the River Thames 4 times (Half-day trip: 3 times)
- Winter rides include tea or coffee en route (finishes 15:30 approx)
- See the remains of Henry VII's Richmond Palace linked to royals for 150 years
- Finish at Richmond and a riverside pub or walk to the nearby train station
- Choose a half-day option to enjoy Kew Gardens or lunch at a riverside pub
Cycle the route of the famous annual Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race, where the 2 historic universities battle for supremacy. Look out for practicing rowing teams as you bike the quiet South West London sections of the river.
Pass old riverside pubs, from Putney to Richmond, and hear the history of brewing in the area. Stop to enjoy shots of ale at one of 2 locations, and visit a brewery shop where you can buy souvenirs during the week.
The full-day ride takes you to working boat yards and a garden center set in the grounds of a 16th century stately home. Here, you can enjoy a picnic of traditional afternoon tea before biking on to Richmond to see the remains of the palace of King Henry VII. End at a riverside pub to relax and chat about the day before a short walk to the train.
You can also choose the easier half-day ride and finish before or after a pub lunch. You will be free to visit Kew Botanical Gardens, Kew National Archives, the Steam Museum, or the Musical Museum.
- Bike hire with helmet
- Local guide
- Bottled water
- Ale tasting session
- Traditional afternoon tea picnic (full-day summer tour only)
- Mulled wine/tea/coffee is served on the winter full day tour.
- Pub lunch
- Transport to/from start and finish location
- Entrance fee for attractions
- Children under 18 years
Prepare for the activity
Meet your guide at the Embankment, Putney, London SW15 1LB near the Thai Square restaurant by Putney Bridge. Mainline train from London Waterloo, or Underground District Line from Earls Court, Kensington, Victoria etc. - approximate 20-minute journeyOpen in Google Maps ⟶
- Luggage or large bags
• Booking is essential to reserve your bike.
• Luggage transfer and accommodation help is offered if needed (extra cost on request).
• No refund on cancellations within 72 hours of tour, however dates can be changed but subject to a charge.
• Private Tour is for 1-4 people with bike hire