From Inverness: 3-Day Orkney Explorer
- Unearth some of the most well-preserved prehistoric sites in Europe like the Ring of Brodgar and Skara Brae
- Discover the vibrant culture of remote island communities
- Visit the ancient Norse town of Kirkwall and be amazed by the medieval cathedral
- Travel in style in a luxury 16 seat Mercedes mini-coach whilst hearing stories and tales of Scotland's past from your knowledgeable guide
After an early start leaving Inverness at 08:00, travel north through the Black Isle, past the imposing Dunrobin Castle, before crossing the Pentland Firth to the Orkney Isles. Stay in Kirkwall, the modern day capital of Orkney for 2 nights. Here, you can visit Kirkwall's magnificent Viking cathedral and its historic winding streets.
Day 2: Follow in the footsteps of the Vikings as you travel through Orkney
Today is your chance to explore the modern and ancient wonders of this fantastic island; a land of contrasts, where fertile green pastures are fringed by shores of golden sands washed by waters of the North Sea and Atlantic Ocean. Highlights include a visit to Skara Brae, the mystical prehistoric stone circle at Brodgar, the standing stones of Stenness and Maeshowe, where in the 12th-century the Vikings left one of the largest collections of Norse runic inscriptions.
Day 3: Travel through the history soaked regions of Caithness and Sutherland
Have your last chance to grab some gifts for friends and family, and visit the local cathedral in Kirkwall. And after a ferry back to the mainland, travel through the history soaked regions of Caithness and Sutherland. Find out about the highland clearances, a world-changing period in Scotland’s dark history, and get a glimpse of some of Scotland’s most remote fishing villages. The tour will arrive back in Inverness early evening at approximitely 19:00.
- Travel in a luxury, air-conditioned 16 seat Mercedes mini-coach
- Services of an experienced, knowledgeable driver/ guide
- Bed and breakfast accommodation (2 nights)
- You're restricted to 14kg (31lbs) of luggage per person. This should be one piece of luggage similar to an airline carry-on bag (approximately 55cm x 45cm x 25cm / 22in x 17in x 10in) plus a small bag for onboard personal items
- Entrance to visitor attractions
- Meals and refreshments
- Gratuities (optional)
Prepare for the activity
• Transportation by the top of the range 16 seat Mercedes mini-coach for a more personal experience
• Time off the bus will give you opportunities to take nature walks. It is recommended for you to bring suitable clothing and footwear for your tour
• Accommodation: Choose from a selection of small, locally owned guesthouses and B&Bs. All rooms are en suite. For individual travelers, please select the single accommodation option. For 2 or more people traveling together, please choose the twin room shared option
• Bringing a waterproof jacket and suitable footwear for short walks is recommended
• Minimum age to participate is 5 years