Florence: Siena and San Gimignano Day Trip
- Visit 2 contrasting UNESCO World Heritage towns on a day-trip from Florence
- Gain more time to explore, with skip-the-line access
- Savor a refreshing glass of local Chianti wine in San Gimignano
- Enjoy free time in the picturesque and beautifully preserved old town of San Gimignano
Your first stop will be the medieval town of Siena, where the Palio horse race has been held twice a year since the 17th century. A local guide will join you for a tour through the red-brick streets to the Duomo di Siena. Exquisitely faced and floored with marble, this grand cathedral also houses sculptures by the young Michelangelo.
With your skip-the-line access, you will have ample time to breathe it all in, before your tour continues to the Piazza del Campo. It is at this exact location where twice a year, jockeys representing Siena’s wards compete fiercely (and not always fairly) for glory. As you listen to your guide’s tales of victories and defeats, it will be easy to imagine the piazza filled with the thunder of horses hooves.
Back aboard your coach, you will spot the iconic tower houses of San Gimignano on the skyline from miles away. This Medieval walled town will be yours to explore, as you wander back in time along the narrow streets, being able to ask your tour leader where to find the best gelato. After enough free time to explore and take pictures, rejoin the group for your complimentary glass of Chianti wine and some nibbles. The coach will then return you to Florence.
- Expert, English-speaking tour leader throughout the day
- 1 hour guided tour in Siena with a local guide
- Tasting of local wine
- Skip-the-line access and entrance ticket to the Siena Cathedral
- Small-group tour of 25 people or less
- Round-trip transportation in a comfortable air-conditioned bus
- Headsets when required
- A special dress code is required to enter any church (knees and shoulders must be covered for both men and women)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Wheelchair users
Prepare for the activity
Piazza dell'Unità Italiana is in front of the Hotel Baglioni near Santa Maria Novella Train Station. The meeting point is in front of the Obelisk, right in the middle of the square.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Baby strollers