Florence: Guided Cathedral Dome Climb with Timed-Entry
A GetYourGuide Original
The ultimate tour experience
- Unforgettable local guides
- Personalized experience
- Hidden highlights
- Priority access
- Full refund if you didn't enjoy the tour
Love where you're going, guaranteedWith a GetYourGuide Originals tour, you can enjoy complimentary rescheduling if you’re late or plans change, and a full refund if you’re not completely satisfied after taking your tour.
Unforgettable local guidesLed only by 5-star guides and local aficionados, you can expect intriguing insights, fun facts, and stories from the people who call your destination home.
Personalized experienceA maximum of 20 people on your tour, which means you'll enjoy a more interactive, personalized experience.
Top sights (and hidden ones, too)On an Originals tour, you'll discover lesser-known treasures that other visitors often miss, bringing you a deeper understanding of your destination.
Priority access — more time to exploreLong line? We'll show you how to skip it. Packed out sights? Follow us to the secret quiet spots. On Originals tours, you can explore in ways that others can't.
The Original experience
- Get a timed-entry ticket and explore the cathedral's famous dome
- Take your trip to new heights with your expert tour guide
- Reward yourself with panoramic views of Florence from the top, perfect for snapping photos
- Get a peek at opulent frescos, stained-glass windows, and marble decoration
- Enjoy a maximum group size of 15 people
Start with a 15-minute introduction to Florence Cathedral from your expert guide outside. Benefit from your timed-entry ticket before heading up the 463 stairs as you hear how Brunelleschi engineered this masterful 15th-century dome.
Learn how it was designed by the founding father of Renaissance architecture in the birthplace of the Renaissance itself, Florence. Higher and wider than any dome that had been built before, it was an unbelievable feat of medieval engineering.
And look up — enjoy the decorated marble, immense frescoes, and stained-glass windows, including Zuccari and Vasari’s Last Judgment fresco. Even get a peek at the dome’s double shell.
Once you’ve climbed to the top, soak up the spectacular views of the city. It’s an amazing way to see Florence and a must-see to tick off your travel list.
After exiting the cathedral, feel free to line up to re-enter the cathedral and explore areas free to the public in your own time.
- Timed-ticket entry to the dome
- Tour guide
- Entry to the Santa Maria del Fiore Complex, including the Bell Tower, Opera del Duomo Museum, Crypt of Santa Reparata, and Baptistery
- Pregnant women
- People with mobility impairments
- People with claustrophobia
- Wheelchair users
- People with respiratory issues
Prepare for the activity
• Meet at Colonna di San Zanobi, next to the Baptistry of San Giovani (St. John) in Piazza del Duomo • Please arrive 15 minutes before the scheduled tour start time • Look for a guide wearing GetYourGuide attire and holding a red GetYourGuide flagOpen in Google Maps ⟶
- Comfortable shoes
- Passport or ID card for children
• Please note that while this is a timed-entry ticket, there may still be a wait of up to 15 minutes to enter the cathedral
• There are 463 steps to climb up and there is no elevator. The climb is also very steep and narrow in some places.
• The headset, unfortunately, does not work when climbing up the tower due to the thick walls
• After the tour of the dome, you have to exit the cathedral. If you would like to revisit the cathedral after the tour, you will need to join the normal line. Entry is free of charge.
• Access to other parts of the cathedral complex is free to the general public