Robben Island Ferry Ticket and Township Combo Tour
Pickup includedPickup is available from hotels, guesthouses and accommodation within 10 kilometers of the city center. Pick-up time depends on your hotel location. • Between 8 - 8:30 AM: Camps Bay, Bantry Bay, Sea Point, Green Point, Waterfront. • Between 8:30 - 9:00 AM: City Center, Gardens, Tamboerskloof. • For Rondebosch, Observatory, Mowbray, Woodstock please be ready to be collected between 7:30 - 8:15 AM. If you are staying outside of the pickup area, the meeting point will be outside the V&A Waterfront hotel between 8:40-8:50 AM.
- Learn about life under apartheid in some of the townships of Cape Town
- Visit the townships of Langa, Bonteheuwel and Gugulethu
- Meet a traditional African healer, see local beer being made and visit a primary school
- Get the chance to support local businesses and markets
V&A Waterfront (lunch) optional
Learn about life during apartheid on a walking tour of the hostels and shacks. Visit a shebeen (pub) and try some homemade beer. See a traditional healer in action, and then drive through the Bonteheuwel township, reserved for the "colored" community during the days of apartheid. Hear about the division of people and its impact within communities today.
See the Gugulethu 7 Memorial to the members of an anti-apartheid group killed by the South African Police in 1986, and the memorial to the American student Amy Biehl, murdered by PAC supporters in 1993. Afterwards, get dropped off at the V&A Waterfront to take your ferry to Robben Island.
- Robben Island ferry ticket
- Hotel pick-up
- Private transportation by air-conditioned minivan
- Hotel drop off
- Food and drinks (unless specified)
- Gratuities (optional)
Prepare for the activity
- Passport or ID card
• A moderate amount of walking is involved
• The optional Robben Island ticket is subject to availability and weather conditions. If the ferry gets cancelled after the township tour has taken place, you will be given the chance to reschedule (based on availability) or receive a partial refund
• You will get the opportunity to support local businesses and markets throughout the tour
• The tour ends at the Robben Island ferry gateway. You will be asked to make your own way back to your hotel