Amsterdam: Operation Market Garden and Heeswijk Castle Tour
- Explore the area where Operation Market Garden took place
- Visit museums and learn about various conflicts that took place in the region during World War ll
- Explore the Castle of Heeswijk
- Learn about the history of Dutch liberation from Nazi rule
First, meet outside The Heineken Experience in Amsterdam. Travel by bus for about 85 minutes until you reach the first stop on the tour, Heeswijk Castle. Explore North Brabant’s most beautiful 1000-year-old castle. Learn about the rich history of this imposing monument situated in the stunning heart of the Heeswijk Estate. Visit the museum here which focuses on the life and traditions of the 19th-century.
Next, hear about how in September 1944, Lt. Col. Francis Sampson of the 101st US Airborne Division and his comrades landed in the vicinity of the castle because of a miss-drop. See the memorial here in memory of this event. Find out about how the area was finally liberated in late October 1944.
After your visit to Heeswijk Castle, travel through the area where Operation Market Garden took place. Drive along the road known as Hell's Highway, which saw many battles between Allied and Wermacht forces throughout the war. Pass by the windmill and small village of Eerde, which changed hands at least 6 times throughout the conflict.
Finally, stop at a local restaurant for some lunch. Choose to visit the Wings of Liberation Museum, for an additional cost, or return to Amsterdam to finish the tour.
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Museum Overloon entrance tickets
- Professional guide
- Transport by a minivan
- Free WiFi aboard
- Gratuities (optional)
- The Wings of Liberation Museum entrance fee (optional)
- Wheelchair users
Prepare for the activity
Heineken Experience bus stop (Stadhouderskade 78). Wait on the side of the main entrance of the Heineken Experience, not on the waterside). Departure time: 9:00 AM. Please make sure you arrive well in time at the starting point. Due to traffic regulations in Amsterdam, tour buses are not allowed to stop for a long time at the starting point.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Comfortable shoes
• Adult pricing applies to all travelers
• Minimum participant numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
• A moderate amount of walking is involved
• Infants must sit on lap
• This is a small-group tour of no more than 8 people