Aranui Cave 1-Hour Guided Tour
- Explore the beautifully delicate formations in Aranui Cave, the smallest of the world famous Waitomo Glowworm Caves
- Reflect on the wonders of nature as you discover unique rock formations and native wildlife
- Learn the fascinating Maori history and geology of the cave from a knowledgeable local guide
Set in the forest of the Ruakuri scenic reserve and just a 5 minute drive from the Waitomo Glowworm Caves, Aranui Cave is a magical, mystical place that is steeped in Maori myth and legend. It has a natural cave entrance and is the smallest and most delicate of Waitomo's three main caves. Departing from the Waitomo Glowworm Caves Visitor Centre, your tour is led by an experienced guide who will bring the history, features and legends of the cave to life with their storytelling.
Enter the cave and walk along safe boardwalks into narrow chambers. Discover the colony of cave weta, large insects unique to New Zealand, just inside the entrance. Further into the cave you will discover the spectacular high chambers, magnificent limestone formations and the pale brown, pink and white shades of the huge stalactites. Tour groups are small to provide you with an up-close and personal encounter with nature and some magical memories to take away.
- Entry fees
- 1-hour walking tour
- Local guide
Prepare for the activity
• Bookings are essential as numbers on each tour are restricted to 18 people
• All tours are subject to availability. Pending available time slots, your tour time may be 15-30 minutes before or after the one you have requested
• Bring comfortable walking shoes and a warm jacket
• Photography is permitted in Aranui Cave
• There is no wheelchair access at Aranui Cave and is therefore not suitable for visitors with mobility problems