Doubtful Sound Wilderness Experience & Coach From Te Anau
Pickup optionalPlease be at the meeting point/pickup point 15-minutes before the scheduled time. Please contact the local operator at least 24-hours in advance to see whether or not there is a pickup point closer to your accommodation.
- Discover Doubtful Sound's vast, untouched wilderness on a day trip from Te Anau
- Marvel at rugged peaks, lush rainforest and hidden inlets on a 2.5-hour cruise
- Admire cascading waterfalls, rainforest, and lookout for wildlife
- Savor a delicious picnic lunch aboard your 2.5-hour cruise, if option selected
- Relax under the expert guidance of your knowledgable drivers and skippers
Enjoy the adventure of getting to Doubtful Sound, with no direct road access. At Manapouri, cruise across Lake Manapouri, enjoy a short coach trip over Wilmot Pass, then at Deep Cove, set sail on a 2.5-hour small boat cruise. Immerse yourself in the vast and untouched wilderness of Doubtful Sound, the second largest fiord in Fiordland National Park.
Explore the rugged peaks, lush rainforest, and hidden inlets of Doubtful Sound. Keep a lookout for bottlenose dolphins and fur seals at play, or catch a glimpse of a rare Fiordland Crested Penguin. Enjoy engaging and informative commentary from your experienced local guide. Lunch options available for pre-order with complimentary tea and coffee on board.
The mood of the fiord is dominated by the weather – glorious and sparkling on a sunny day, tranquil and mysterious in the mist or dramatic and exciting in the wet as hundreds of waterfalls thunder into the sea. After your cruise, head back over Wilmot Pass by coach and across Lake Manapouri by ferry, before the return coach journey to Te Anau.
- Transport by smaller bus from Te Anau to Manapouri
- Return ferry cruise across Lake Manapouri
- Return coach trip over Wilmot Pass
- 2.5-hour Doubtful Sound wilderness cruise
- Plenty of indoor and outdoor viewing areas
- Wildlife viewing including dolphins, fur seals, and even occasionally penguins
- Live commentary in English from your driver and specialist nature guide
- Complimentary tea and coffee on board
- Lunch (if pre-purchased before the tour)
- Hotel pick-up (only from Te Anau)
Prepare for the activity
Please be at the meeting point/pickup point 15-minutes before the scheduled time. Please contact the local operator at least 24-hours in advance to see whether or not there is a pickup point closer to your accommodation.Open in Google Maps ⟶
• Please contact the local operator directly to pre-purchase a lunch for $25 (this needs to be done at least 12 hours prior to your trip departure)
• The last chance to buy food will be in Te Anau or Manapouri (very limited options in Manapouri). Bring your own food on the day or contact the local operator directly to pre-purchase a picnic lunch for $25.
• Tour is available seasonally, from October through to April. Tour departs 6:15 AM and returns 3 PM from December to March. Tour departs 9 AM and returns 6 PM in October, November, and April
• Fiordland’s weather is what gives the region its unique character; you should always be prepared to enjoy some rainfall during your visit; bring sensible clothing for cool and wet weather to fully appreciate your stay