SF: Aquarium of the Bay Behind the Scenes Tour and Ticket
- Traverse the catwalks above the tanks and learn about the aquarium’s dive operations on an exclusive Behind the Scenes tour
- Discover how the Aquarium of the Bay cares for 20,000 diverse marine animals
- Interact with seastars, sea anemones and more in the tide pools
- Admire the illuminated jellyfish or watch the river otters eat, play and swim
- Attend feedings, animal encounters and educational talks throughout the day
See exhibits of more than 20,000 aquatic animals while also learning about conservation. Experience “Touch the Bay,” complete with tide pools where you can touch the marine animals that patrol San Francisco Bay’s waters. You can also visit the river otters or get a scuba diver’s view of San Francisco Bay at the most iconic exhibit, “Under the Bay.” Walk through the tunnels and gaze at the schools of fish and larger fish such as sharks, rays and sturgeons.
Once you’ve explored the aquarium’s exhibits, get ready to go Behind the Scenes. Go to the lab and learn about how the marine animals are taken care of when injured or sick. Discover the holding tank where new arrivals are observed closely by staff to see how they adapt. Learn how the aquarium breeds skates, pipefish and jellyfish in tanks. From there, discover how jellyfish grow from white specks to full grown, luminous jellyfish. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes so you can walk on catwalks above the aquariums and learn about the aquarium’s dive operations. You may even get to see a bird’s eye view of how the sharks are hand-fed by divers.
- Skip-the-line admission ticket to the aquarium
- Behind the Scenes tour
- Food and drinks
- Children under 5 years
Prepare for the activity
- Pets (assistance dogs allowed)
• Please note that your general admission ticket and behind the scenes tour must be used on the same day.
• The time you choose at checkout is the time of your Behind the Scenes tour.
• The aquarium is open 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM daily.
• The Behind the Scenes tour is 45 minutes in length.