Rome: Colosseum by Night Tour with Colosseum Underground
- See the Colosseum in a different light on this original night walking tour, visiting after the crowds have left
- Venture into the Colosseum underground and journey through the passages once walked by gladiators and animals before their battles
- Tour the Roman Forum as seen from the bird’s eye view of Campidoglio as well as other nearby sights of Ancient Rome
Your tour starts with the Campidoglio, the beautiful piazza outside the Capitoline Museums designed by Michelangelo. From here, you will round the museums to find a little-known vantage point overlooking the majestic Roman Forum, closed at this hour. As the light fades, you will see the heart of Rome’s historic center, with its temples, arches, and the sanctuary of Ancient Rome’s famous Vestal Virgins.
On your way down the hill, see the Trajan’s Column and Caesar’s Forum among other ruins. Then it’s on to the highlight of your tour: the Roman Colosseum.
At this time of night, the Colosseum is virtually empty so you will have a rare experience as your guide leads you around, explaining the history and characters that make the place so fascinating. You will wander the arena floor and then venture into the underground. Few visitors ever get to visit the Colosseum underground, and fewer still see it at night, making this peaceful, spooky visit even more special.
Your tour ends before 00:00, when the night is only starting in Rome. Head to the nearby Monti area for dinner or take some time to wander around and photograph the Colosseum – a more peaceful, beautiful, and atmospheric place at this time than ever.
- Tour as per description
- Skip the Line entrance to the Colosseum
- Headsets when needed
- Groups no larger than 25 people
- English speaking tour guide
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off
- Children under 6 years
- People with mobility impairments
Prepare for the activity
For the 19:00 tour, meet your guide at 18:45. For the 21:00 tour, meet your guide at 20:45. For the 21:20 tour, meet your guide at 21:05. Please note: the meeting point is not at the Colosseum. The tour commences on the platform directly in front of Trajan’s Column. Trajan’s Column is located on Via dei Fori Imperiali next to Piazza Venezia. When standing right in front and facing the Victor Emmanuel II Monument (a.k.a. the “Wedding Cake), it’s directly to the left across the street. Your tour coordinator will be waiting here wearing either a blue polo shirt or blue jacket with the City Wonders logo printed on it. Arriving by taxi: Ask the taxi driver to take you to Piazza Foro Traiano. You will see the roughly 30m high Trajan’s Column as you enter the Piazza, and the meeting point is up the steps on the platform next to it.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Passport or ID card
- Comfortable shoes
- Luggage or large bags
• Unfortunately, this tour is not accessible for people with reduced mobility.
• Unfortunately, children under 6 years old cannot join this tour for security reasons.
• This tour involves a fair amount of walking, hills, and stairs. Comfortable shoes are recommended.
• Large bags or suitcases will not be permitted in the Colosseum or Roman Forum, and there are no cloakroom facilities for storage.
• Strollers cannot be accommodated.