Classical Rome: Full-Day Bus Tour from Civitavecchia
- Marvel at the magnificence of St. Peter’s Basilica and Square
- Walk around the outside of the Coliseum and learn about the gladiators from your guide
- Make a wish and throw a coin into the iconic Trevi Fountain
- Marvel at Bernini’s 4 Rivers Fountain in Piazza Navona
The guide will accompany you up until St. Peter’s Square as you take in the stunning views of St. Peter's Basilica and the magnificent Square, surrounded by Bernini’s famous colonnades dating from 1656. Please note that if there are long lines waiting to enter St. Peter's Basilica, the guide will tell you about the Basilica from the outside. Please refer to the Additional Information section about priority entrance to the Basilica.
Meet your tour leader at a designated point for the second part of the tour. You'll be driven on the bus for a panoramic ride along the streets near the Tiber, cross it near the Tiberine Island, see the city’s other monuments, you’ll pass by the Capitoline Hill, designed by Michelangelo. During the ride, you’ll see the Marcello Theater, commissioned by Emperor Augustus. Your guide will also point out the Temple of Portuno and Temple of Hercules, 2 of the finest smallest temples in the center of Rome.
At the end of this amazing panoramic ride, you will stop near the Colosseum and start the walking path with the guide at the foot of this amazing monument. You’ll come to the Circus Maximus, the largest stadium built in ancient Rome, and the site of chariot races for more than a thousand years.
Then continue along the famous Via Dei Fori Imperiali leading to Piazza Venezia and admire the amazing Altar of the Fatherland. Start out with a visit to the spectacular Trevi Fountain, originally designed by Bernini, but finally constructed by the architect Nicola Salvi. Next, you’ll have a break of 30-40 minutes for a light lunch or even just an ice cream from one of the local shops.
Walk to the Pantheon, the great pagan temple that dates back 2,000 years. Finish your tour with a visit to Piazza Navona, where Bernini and Borromini, the greatest architects of the 17th-century, reached their highest achievements. The Church of St. Agnes in Agony was designed and built by Borromini and the 4 Rivers Fountain is a Bernini masterpiece.
- Professional licensed guide
- Full-day guided tour
- A modern, safe, air-conditioned bus for comfortable travel
- Driver from Civitavecchia to Rome and return
- Skip-the-line entry to St. Peter's Basilica (see the Additional Information section)
- Visit inside the Coliseum
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Entrance tickets
- People with mobility impairments
Prepare for the activity
Please take the free shuttle service from your cruise ship to the meeting point, which is at the end of the shuttle service ride. The ride takes about 5 minutes from the cruise ship to the meeting point. Your bus is located at Largo della Pace, Citavecchia, right across from the fire station (Vigili del Fuoco), in the parking lot. The local provider's staff will be there waiting for you. It is extremely important that you are at the meeting point no later than 9:15 AM. Departure is at 9:30 AM. You'll leave Rome at 4:00 PM, arriving back at the Civitavecchia port at 5:15 PM. Please be at the designated meeting point 15 minutes prior to departure.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Comfortable shoes
• On Sundays, priority entrance cannot be offered as per Vatican rules. It is extremely important that if you wish to enter the Basilica, you must have your knees, shoulders, midriff, and cleavage covered as the Vatican can otherwise refuse entrance
• Mandatory headsets are to be purchased while on the coach to hear the explanations of the tour guide. The fee for the headset is €2.50 per person for adults, students, and children
• This tour is not recommended for people with limited mobility
• This tour will take place rain or shine