South Coast Classic: Full-Day Tour from Reykjavik
Pick-up servicePlease be ready outside or at the reception of your Reykjavik accommodation 30 minutes before your scheduled departure time. Note that the tour operator does not offer pick-up at private or Airbnb housing. Because of traffic limitations, for some areas, you will have to make your way to the closest pick-up spot. Your hotel receptionist can help you find out which one that is. If you are staying in a private accommodation, please contact the local supplier to know. Pick-up is available from the cruise port. For this, please indicate which cruise port you will be arriving to.
- Take a walk behind the veil of the Seljalandsfoss waterfall
- Marvel at the basalt columns at the Reynisfjara black sand beach
- Visit the coastal village of Vík
Your tour begins with a drive through lava fields, passing by the active Hengill volcano, and then down to rich coastal farmlands. On clear days you’ll be able to see the Hekla volcano, and in the distance the glacier-capped Eyjafjallajökull volcano rises majestically above the coastal mountains.
Just a few kilometers off the coastline and easily visible are the volcanic Westman Islands, an archipelago of around 15 small islands, only one of which is inhabited.
The first stop is at the Sólheimajökull glacier, which is every photographer’s dream. Next on the itinerary is the Reynisfjara black sand beach. See the powerful Atlantic waves crashing on the black sands, the jagged basalt sea stacks and the huge basalt-column cave.
Next you’ll head to the coastal village of Vik, the southernmost village in Iceland, located on the island’s main ring road. Despite its small size (291 inhabitants), it is the largest settlement for 70 kilometers.
On your way back to Reykjavík, you’ll stop by the powerful Skógafoss waterfall for a short walk up a flight of steps to admire one of Iceland´s most scenic views. The view takes in glaciers, volcanoes and black sandy beaches.
The last stop is at the 60-meter-high Seljalandsfoss waterfall, best known for the hidden pathway behind and around it.
- Knowledgeable local guide
- Admission to the sites visited
- Free WiFi, and USB charger at each seat
- In-bus audio guide with a choice of languages
- Pick-up from your accommodation (unless you have chosen tour option with hotel pick-up)
When you get there
This tour option does not includes hotel pick-up in. Your tour starts from Reykjavík Terminal, centrally located at Skógarhlíð 10, 105 Reykjavík. please be at the terminal 15 minutes before your departure time.Open in Google Maps ⟶
• The tour is available all year round (depending on weather)
• There is no minimum number of participants
• No age limit applies
• Dress according to the weather. In Iceland it is always wise to dress in warm, waterproof clothes. Weather changes can be sudden so expect the unexpected. Bring a waterproof jacket and pants, headwear and gloves. Good outdoor shoes are recommended
• In-bus audio guide: It is a good idea to bring your own headphones, simply because they will fit you best. It is also great for the environment. If you don’t have your headphones or forgot to bring them, you can purchase earphones on board
• Duration of the tour: 10-11 hours, including a minimum 30-minute stop at the Seljalandsfoss waterfall, Skógafoss waterfall, Sólheimajökull glacier and Reynisfjara black sand beach
• Total distance covered during the tour: 350 kilometers