Nice: Train Experience Through The Alps and Baroque Route
- Board the historic Train Des Merveilles and take a fascinating ride through the Alps
- Explore Saorge and Tende, two impressive medieval villages in the Alps
- Visit the Museum des Merveilles and see stone age artifacts
- Immerse yourself in the natural landscape of the Alps and its surrounding canyons
- Discover treasures of Baroque art and architecture
After meeting your guide, depart at 9:00 AM from Nice Ville Central Station. Discover breathtaking landscapes as you pass by natural canyons, highly-elevated bridges, and tunnels on a 2-hour train ride to your destination. During the ride, your guide will tell you the secrets of one of the most beautiful train lines in France, a testimony of French civil engineering at the beginning of the 20th century.
Make a stop at 2 medieval villages, Saorge and Tende. First, visit Tende and its Museum des Merveilles to discover stone age and other historic artifacts from the Mercantour National Park. Then, head over to the Mercantour National Park itself and spot protected species of flowers. See other highlights of Tende including an impressive Baroque cathedral, the maze of medieval streets, panoramic views from the top of the village, the cemetery, and the ruins of an old castle.
Continue the tour to Saorge, an impressive medieval village with steeped streets, built on a concave hillside. Admire the imposing Franciscan Convent of Saorge founded in the 17th century before visiting the Church of Saint-Sauveur. The church was rebuilt in the 15th century following a fire and restored in the 18th century. The village offers spectacular sceneries of the Alps and the canyons around.
When it's time for lunch you can either select from a lunch picnic or lunch at a local restaurant. For those who want to explore more, you can choose to add a visit to the village of La Brigue with an earlier departure from Nice Ville Train Station at 7:15 AM.
- Round-trip train tickets
- Lunch picnic or lunch at a local restaurant (please select)
- Professional guide
- Commentaries onboard and inside the monuments
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- People with mobility impairments
Prepare for the activity
Meet your guide next to the entrance of Nice Ville Central Train Station at the terrace of Paul Bakery. Your guide will be wearing a blue t-shirt and holding a white board with "Train Experience Through The Alps" on it.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Comfortable shoes