Private Shore Excursion to San Gimignano & Volterra
- Discover the medieval Manhattan of Tuscany
- See the towers of San Gimignano
- Wander down cobbled streets, following in the footsteps of Italian nobles
- Drive through the bucolic wine region of Chianti
- Explore the Etruscan town of Volterra
- Discover one of the most beautiful squares in Italy at Volterra's Piazza dei Priori
Traveling by luxury Mercedes Benz sedan or minivan, drive through the rolling hills of Tuscany, stopping at San Gimignano, which earned its nickname as the “Manhattan of Tuscany” from the towers built by noble families as a visual demonstration of their power and wealth.
Walk along narrow streets, admiring the remaining towers dotted among old buildings. Go to the unusual triangular Piazza Cisterna, and stop at Piazza del Duomo, site of the Collegiata Romanesque cathedral, known for its fine frescoes.
Continue west to Volterra, a trading center since the days of the Etruscans. Perched on a rocky plateau, and surrounded by medieval ramparts, Volterra’s sights include the lovely Piazza dei Priori, one of the most beautiful squares in Italy. Admire its assembly of towers and palaces, before strolling to Piazza San Giovanni to see the Baptistery and Cathedral.
Volterra is renowned for its alabaster production, and you will have time to shop for unique alabaster gifts, before driving to the ruins of a 2,000-seat Roman theater, brought back to life at the start of this century.
- Transportation by Mercedes-Benz sedan or minivan
- English-speaking driver/guide
- Tax and VAT
- Tolls, parking fees, and gas
- Entrance fees to museums and monuments