Berlin's "History of Sex" Guided Tour with a Sociologist
- Hear the story Dr. Magnus Hirschfeld, one of the world's first sexual scientists
- Learn about Berlin's sex and night life in the 20s
- Discover the clubs where sexual liberty prospers, including the Kit Kat Club, Berghain, and Lab.oratory
Hear the story of Dr. Magnus Hirschfeld, one of the world’s first sexual scientists and visit the location of the Institute of Sexual Science. Learn about the founding of the world’s first gay rights organization, and Berlin’s nightlife in the ’20s. See where the famous Eldorado club once stood, a club where even high Nazi officials visited. Visit the home of British Writer Christopher Isherwood, whose Berlin Stories were the basis of the world-famous Cabaret musical.
Learn about how the AIDS epidemic was dealt with differently in West and East Germany. Explore the districts of Nollendorfplatz and Kottbusser Tor, 2 centers of LGBTIQ culture. Discover how sexual continues at clubs such the Kit Kat, Berghain, and Lab.
- Fact sheets
- A ticket for Berlin's public transport system valid for at least 2 hours after the tour starts.
- Children under 18 years
Prepare for the activity
Schloss Bellevue (Berlin), 10557 Berlin, Germany Meet at 1.30 pm in front of the palace "Schloss Bellevue". It is at Spreeweg 1, from the victory column "Siegessäule" (big roundabout) just walk into the street "Spreeweg" for about 300 meters (3-4 minutes) and you'll be right in front of the palace. Careful if you look it up on Google maps as it will show you Spreeweg 1 to be behind the palace instead of in front. There are two big trees in front of the palace, one on the left and one on the right side. Meet your guide under the tree on the right side (when facing the castle)– it's the one closer to the river. The tour will take roughly 3 hours. You will need a public transport ticket so please bring one as we will take a short bus and a short train trip in-between. We'll end by Nollendorfplatz.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Public transport ticket
• This tour is only for people 18+.
• Please bring an umbrella if the weather forecast predicts rain (in heavy weather conditions the tour will stay warm and cozy in a café in one of Berlin's most famous districts while exploring all the exciting history digitally).
• Sun protection if it's hot and sunny.