Cardona & The Salt Mountain from Barcelona with Pickup
Pickup includedFrom your accommodation in Barcelona city at 8:30 AM. Please check your inbox for exact pickup time.
- Enjoy a full-day tour to Cardona and Salt Mountain from Barcelona
- Venture deep into the crystalline caverns of the most important salt deposits in the world, the Salt Mountain
- Discover the well-preserved medieval village of Cardona and its castle on a walking tour
- Tour in a small group of 8 guests with hotel pickup and drop-off included
Your expert guide will pick you up at your hotel in private transport to comfortably reach this historic town. Here you will introduce into one of the most important salt deposits in the world, the called Salt Mountain. After, with your guide you will walk through the streets and squares of an authentic Catalan medieval village to finally visit the impregnable Castle of Cardona.
The natural environment in which is located Cardona is one of the most particular of the geography: south of the town is the astonished Saline Valley of Cardona, open pit exploited since Neolithic times. This depression in the ground, elongated - ellipse shaped, has unique natural features in the world that have made it worthy of inclusion in the Plan for Areas of Natural Interest in Catalonia.
Here was opened, from 1929 to 1990, which was once one of the most important salt mines of the planet. Today the area has been adapted and transformed into the Salt Mountain Cultural Park: Its visit will allow you to know the museum area, located outdoors in the old mineshaft 'Maria Teresa', which tells the story of the industrial exploitation of the Valley. Next, you will do a guided tour 86 meter deep: inside the Salt Mountain galleries, you will admire the curious images produced by the various colorful folds and seams, and the creation of incredible stalactites and stalagmites formations.
After this trip to this millenarian natural site, you will visit the historic center of Cardona, flanked by Romanesque and Gothic buildings, while our specialized guide provides the most exciting legends and chronicles occurred in this enclave. In Cardona, the traces of its past discover the strong and brave character of its population.
Cardona has experienced some of the most important episodes in the history and walking through its streets and visiting the castle-fortress is like traveling ten centuries back in time. Castle of Cardona is one of the best preserved medieval Spain historic areas. In 1714, during the War of Spanish Succession, was a real impregnable fortress and later even its citadel could not be taken by the redoubtable Napoleon.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off in a private air-conditioned minivan
- Professional local guide
- Small group tour with up to 8 guests (if option selected)
- Entrance fee for Cardona Castle (private tour option only)
- Entrance fee for Salt Mountain Cultural Park (private tour option only)
- Entrance fee for Cardona Castle (non-private option, approximately €4)
- Entrance fee for Salt Mountain Cultural Park (non-private option, approximately €12)
Prepare for the activity
- Comfortable shoes
• In order for hotel pickup to be arranged, you must provide the exact address of your accommodation in Barcelona upon booking