Athens: Cape Sounio & Athens Riviera Small Group Sunset Tour
- Visit the Temple of Poseidon at Sounion, a stunning 5th century BC structure in a picture-perfect cliff-top setting
- See the wonder that is Lake Vouliagmeni, a natural spa with year-round warm water
- Visit the newest star on the city’s architectural and cultural scene, the impressive Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center
- Get a real taste of beach life along the city’s favorite coastline and discover an ancient Temple in a surprising location
- Enjoy a selection of meze (Greek tapas) and a drink at a seaside tavern
From there, you’ll head to Lake Vouliagmeni, where fresh spring water and saltwater mix to create a mineral-rich environment that is home to those funny little doctor fish (Garra rufa) that nibble your toes clean for you. The lake is, in fact, a collapsed cave, and there are underwater tunnels leading so far back under the mountain that they’ve never been fully mapped.
Then it's time for a walk along one of the most scenic seaside settings where you will probably forget you are still in Athens... and you will discover an ancient Temple whose location is a big surprise. You are now ready to head to Cape Sounion, stopping on the way at a seaside tavern for a drink and some tapas with a marvelous view.
By now you will have reached one of the world’s most graceful monuments, the Temple of Poseidon, a 5th-century archaeological site perched on the very top of Cape Sounion. The view here is tremendous, and it’s obvious why this spot of land was chosen as a site where people could worship the god of the sea. Don’t forget to look for Lord Byron’s bit of 19th-century vandalism, the British poet’s name is chiseled into a column here. And while you’re taking that look, spare a thought for old King Aegeus, the man who, in death, gave his name to the whole of the Aegean Sea. It is here that you'll enjoy one of the most beautiful sunsets in Greece from the site of the temple itself, this lets you catch the last rays of the sun over the water from the ideal spot where geography and history work together to give you a timeless memory.
- Professional English-speaking tour leader
- Private transfer by air-conditioned vehicle
- Petrol, tolls, and taxes
- Tapas and a drink
- Entry fees
- Any food and drink that you get on your own
Prepare for the activity
Corner of Mitropoleos 1 & Filelinon 2 Street in front of the shop Cosmote. Mitropoleos & Filelinon conjunction is the main corner across Syntagma Square. You can get to Syntagma Square easily by metro or by Tram and walk towards the lower part of the square.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Passport or ID card
- Student card
• This is an extraordinary tour with the need for preplanning so it requires a minimum of 5 participants. In case of cancellation, an alternative date or full refund will be granted
• It is recommended you bring sunglasses, a hat, comfortable clothes and shoes